Stretch marks are long, narrow streaks, stripes or lines that develop on the skin and which differ in hue from the surrounding skin. They are the result of a sudden stretching of the skin and are extremely common. Anyone can develop stretch marks, although they tend to affect more women than men.
Stretch marks can be visible on body parts including the tummy, thighs, hips, breasts, upper arms, and lower back. The marks form in the middle layer of the skin; when there is a constant stretch, the layer tears, leaving stretch marks.
Sometimes stretch marks can cover large areas of the body. While pregnancy is the main cause behind stretch marks, other reasons can be sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions.
Causes of Stretch Marks
- The causes of stretch marks are several. Here we have listed out a few common causes.
- Stretch marks are common during pregnancy.
- Rapid weight gain during a short period of time.
- Heredity conditions.
- Hormonal changes during puberty
- Use of certain medications, including lotions, pills, Corticosteroid creams, and steroids.
- Genetic disorders
- Medical conditions such as Cushing’s syndrome and Marfan syndrome.
- Muscle building
Stretch marks are the result of rapid stretching of the skin due to sudden growth or weight gain and it is best to treat this problem with effective home remedies that have absolutely no side effects.
Natural Remedies to Reduce Stretch Marks
Water is known for carrying oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body. To prevent skin from various problems, drinking water helps a lot. To get rid of stretch marks, a well-hydrated skin is required in order to allow regular detoxification of skin pores. It is the quickest remedy to heal stretch marks. Drink 10 glasses of water daily to make skin soft and maintain a hydrated body.
Egg white is one of the best-known home remedies for skin. It is rich in Vitamin A and collagen. Collagen is the main structural and the most abundant protein found in animal connective tissue and contains specific amino acids like glycine, proline, hydroxyproline and arginine. As it gives our skin firmness, suppleness and helps in the constant renewal of skin cells, it is really essential for our skin.
- Egg -1
Take out the egg white by separating the yolk from the egg. Stir the egg white and apply it on the stretch marks. Leave it for 15 minutes and thereafter wash off with water.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another easy treatment for stretch marks. The acid present in lemon juice helps in reducing stretch marks, acne, skin injuries, and scars.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
The leaves of alfalfa are noted for their rich supply of amino acids, which support healthy skin. It is also a good source of protein, vitamin E and K, and these work by ensuring body tone naturally. You can also detoxify your skin using alfalfa leaves because of their anti-fungal properties. To treat marks on the skin, get a small amount of alfalfa powder combined with some chamomile oil.
- Alfalfa powder- 1 tea spoon
- Chamomile oil-4 drops
Add alfalfa powder to chamomile oil and mix it for 5 minutes. Apply the paste to the stretch marks carefully. Leave it for 15 minutes and thereafter wash off with water.
- Potato Juice
Potato juice contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells.
- Cut the potato into thick sized slices.
- Take a slice and rub it gently over your stretch marks. Guarantee to apply its juice everywhere on your marks.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is considered to be the most effective homeopathic remedy for stretch marks and various other skin problems. Aloe Vera leaves secrete a clear gel when broken off from the rest of the plant that can be applied to heal wounds and it also contains plant collagen which immensely helps repair the skin. Collagen is one of the most important proteins that make our skin elastic, supple and youthful. Collagen is really beneficial to the skin as they help to reduce wrinkles, fine lines, reverse age of skin, tighter skin, plump up the skin and also improve the elasticity of the skin.
- Aloe Vera leaf
Remove the outer layer of the aloe vera leaf and bring out the sticky gel from the inside of the leaf. Then use the gel on stretch marks and wash off with water after two or three hours.
Sugar is a natural skin exfoliant — a substance that rubs away dead cells to rejuvenate your skin. It is also regarded as among the best home remedies for stretch marks.
- Combine one tablespoon of sugar with a few drops of almond oil and lemon juice and stir well.
- Apply directly to your stretch marks, rubbing the mixture into your skin for eight to ten minutes.
- Shower following treatment.
- For best results, follow this regimen each time you shower for up to one month.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and nutrients, which are effective for skin disorders. For healing stretch marks, warm the olive oil slightly. Rub it gently on the affected area. With this, the blood circulation will improve and stretch marks will get reduced.