The pilot diet or point diet is a Russian diet that was originally intended for Soviet military pilots, hence the name – Pilot diet.
This diet requires a strict military discipline but the results are guaranteed. It falls in the restrictive diets category and is recommended only for people who are disciplined and have no health issues whatsoever.
The pilot diet can last up to 7 days maximum because it requires a very low-calorie intake. The good news is that you can eat almost anything but you need to keep records of everything you eat because each ingredient carries a certain amount of points. The advantage is that you can also combine your meals on your own, as long as they’re within the prescribed points you can eat during the day. There’s a strict guideline to how many points you can eat a day and you need to follow them to the letter. If you obey the guidelines and follow the number of points prescribed for each day you can lose up to 5 kilograms per week.
For example, every day you can eat a maximum of 18-20 points. If you weigh less than 70kg the number of points should be maximum 18, while if you weigh over 70kg the number of points shouldn’t be over 20. If you overstep these limitations you should know that you’ve violated the rules of the diet and you won’t get the desired results. Below you can find some guidelines about the number of points in certain meals and how you can combine them.
You’ll notice that the Russian pilot diet includes lots of fish because fish is a healthy source of fats and proteins but doesn’t carry a lot of points. We recommend that you eat fish at least three times a week during the diet.
BREAKFAST (3 AND 4 POINTS)
- 1 orange, yogurt, bagel, tea or coffee (3 points)
- fruit salad with grapefruit, orange, and kiwi, some low-fat cheese, a slice of ham, coffee or tea (3 points)
- 1 banana, 1 cup of whipped cream, tea or coffee (3 points)
- semolina, 20gr dry raisins, tea or coffee (3 points)
- 2 slices of wholegrain bread, 1 teaspoon of butter, 2 teaspoons of jam, 2 kiwis, tea or coffee (4 points)
- 2dl fresh orange juice, 1 jam pancake, tea or coffee (4 points)
- 1 cup of milk, 1 slice of rusk bread with jam, 2 kiwis, tea or coffee (4 points)
LUNCH AND DINNER (6 AND 8 POINTS)
- 1 piece of grilled fish, one lettuce or beets seasoned with ACV and olive oil, 1 pear (6 points)
- tomato salad with some olive oil and garlic, 1 piece of boiled white chicken meat, 2 spoons of mashed potatoes, 3 oranges (6 points)
- Vegetable soup without noodles, 1 grilled non-fat steak, 4 spoons of pasta, some homemade preserve (6 points)
- 200gr of grilled mushrooms, 1 piece of grilled fish, 2 boiled potatoes or 4 spoons of cooked brown rice, 1 fruit yogurt (6 points)
- roasted fish with some olive oil, boiled Brussel sprouts, 2 small potatoes, 2 salty crackers, 1 scoop of ice cream, 1 glass of wine (8 points)
- 1 piece of grilled salmon, 1 teaspoon of tartar sauce, 2 teaspoons of boiled rice, 1 teaspoon sour cream, 1 peach or apple (8 points)
- veal steak roasted on a teaspoon of margarine, 250gr peas with carrots, 1 glass of wine (8 points)
- 60gr beef steak, 6 spoons of cooked beans, 1 slice of bread, 2 spoons of cucumber sour cream salad, 1 apple or pear (8 points)
In case you’re feeling like you’re starving to death you can indulge yourself with a snack once in a while. It can be one of the following items:
- 1 whole grain bagel
- 1 piece of cheese pie
- 2 pancakes with 2 teaspoons of jam
- 1 small piece of chocolate cake
- 1 slice of wholegrain bread with some chocolate syrup
When it comes to snacks you can also eat some 0 point ingredients but you have to make sure you only take a spoon or two. It can be a teaspoon of whipped cream, jam, fruit syrup or parmesan.
As you can see this diet is composed of some rather pricey ingredients and some which are not so readily available to everyone. However, despite its expansiveness, the diet has more and more followers by the day thanks to the amazing results it gives. In addition to following the menu to the letter, you should also drink 8 glasses of water a day and start some moderate physical activity.